Friday, May 8, 2009

Response from Kyla of Annikki Dawn

This interview was conducted through a MySpace message

I've heard that you're an artist, so do you feel your music is in a way related to you art?

-I feel that my music and art are inseparable. For a long time I expected one would take priority over the other, but there's been an almost a rhythmic back and forth over the years between my emphasis on song writing and visual art making.

Would you say that there is a so called "scene"? I've heard others call it more a community or circle of friends because of its size, would you agree?

-I think people tend to gravitate toward (and attract) others with shared interests. It makes sense to me that song writers would come together for inspiration, and understanding. Even simple songs are a complicated form of communication and have a rich history of sticking in people's heads and providing something for people to sing together. Of course not everyone involved in any music scene is a song writer. Maybe the "scene/community/friend circle" is made up of people who are interested in each other.

What are your music influences? What other music genres do you listen to or draw from?

-I'd never knock a genre. Inspiration can come from anywhere. John Cage thought the sounds that cars made on the New York streets was beautiful music. I like Amy Winehouse this week. I'm interested when cars drive by blasting anything. Sometimes it's great when everyone in the room knows the lyrics to a Jimmy Buffet song. Sometimes my fridge sounds like a whale. Heartbeats, walking rhythms, karaoke, birds practicing, birds nailing it, and of course, wind.


How do you feel you first started getting involved in this whole providence "scene"?

-I moved to Providence from Chicago two years ago. Before that I lived in Portland Oregon for four years or so. I've been touring in various bands for a while and I'd been to Providence before to play music. I think I just went from being a satellite member of the community to a local.

Reading's I've been making on the older folk revival movement mention the idea of white urban youth looking towards folk roots to find an identity. Do you agree or disagree that this might be translated to today's revival?

-Everyone has to tend their roots.

No comments:

Post a Comment